2.9K views

Dear seniors,

You must be extra careful in signing up for Delta Dental AARP plan as neither Delta, the AARP, or you dentist will advise you of the problems.You may expect to be covered 100% for diagnostic and preventive care (including exams, X-rays, and cleaning) in plan "A" as advertised.

Delta, in reality, pays 52.6% if your dentist is not in the AARP plan. I was amazed at this realization. Prior to signing up with Delta through the AARP I thought I did the due diligence by speaking with my dentist and a Delta customer service representative to insure that I understood the terms and conditions. I even printed what was available and showed it to my dentist.

I was assured by both Delta and my dentist of the purported plan payments for the diagnostic and preventive care. It was only after receiving the first invoice that I learned in fact that there were two (2) Delta plans, one for corporations and one for the AARP. The plan for the AARP provides considerably lesser benefits and coverage. I reviewed all the documentation and never saw any mention of this distinction.

I was told by Delta that it was up to my dentist to inform me of this fact. I believe my dentist replied honestly to my questions. It was just that I didn't know the right questions to ask at that time. Thus I learned that the AARP policy with Delta is really not the best for seniors unless you plan to change dentists to a Delta P.

P.O., one who agrees to accept a lower reimbursement.

Review about: Delta Dental Dental Insurance.

Had an Experience with Delta Dental?

Comments

Phoenix, Arizona, United States #1327851

After a year and getting my renewal bill for my AARP Delta Dental Plan I realized that the plan was basically a rip off........not enough benefits for what you pay. I am switching to Delta Dental Plan and will be paying about 2/3 of the AARP plan cost. Switch to a regular Delta Dental policy and save yourself some money.

Thank you, reviews like yours help us to collaborate on what is the best available choices for us seniors.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States #774514

Let's say a ppo dr charges 125 Dollars for a cleaning and exam.The in network fee is 100 dollars.

Delta pays 100 dollars and dr writes off 25 as discount. Patient pays zero. If they go out of network than they pay the 25 dollar difference . Simple as that.

Delta pays 100 percent of the ppo fee whether they go in or out of network for an exam.

Let's say that the patient sees a premier only dentist. They charge 125 dollars. Premier cap is 115 dollars. They would only write off 10 dollars and then they would charge the difference between the ppo cap and premier cap (fifteen dollars ) to the patient.

Does that help ?

San Antonio, Texas, United States #764262

My dental care has been provided by a Plan dentist for years.The care is satisfactory and the price is right.

I'm in San Antonio, Texas.:)

And there's a reason why they're willing to accept a lower reimbursement.

This is my second post (see below): I finally filed a claim with the California Insurance Board and they were able to help some - I was reimbursed for the 2012 premiums that were paid and my dental bill from last December was also partially paid and then retracted.Back to the drawing board .

. . they will pay what they owe on my dental bill one way or another. I'm thinking this would perhaps be a good class action lawsuit .

AARP Delta Dental is indeed a scam.I also found this out the hard way and am still trying to get anything at all paid to my family Delta dentist of many years for my check-up (the harder you try the worse it gets).

I cannot recommend this policy to anyone - put your money in the bank and pay your dental bill when it's due (there'll be some leftover!).It's hard to believe that AARP could endorse such a thing.